Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Language: a Barrier or a Bridge?

*****
I am the glue
That helps the world unite.

I am the wall
That leads others to fight.

To feel my presence,
You don't need to have sight.

I am always there
Whether it is day or night.

I am language;
In the darkness, I am the light.

*****

The first time I saw her, she was cleaning toilets.

I was at a religious event in London, and hundreds of people swarmed past me as I dashed toward the porta-potties. As a volunteer, I slid on my plastic gloves and braced myself for cleaning the area around the bathrooms.

Surprisingly, when I reached the bathrooms, I wasn't alone. At this event, 99% of the people were Indian, so of course I was caught off guard when I saw a fair-skinned girl plumbing the toilets. She was so immersed in her work that she didn't notice me walk in. She wasn't bothered by the weird looks she got from others for being a "foreigner." She was doing her duty, and that was all that mattered.

I proceeded with my task of picking up toilet paper shreds off the floor, only sneaking glances at the girl once in a while. I wanted her to know that she was amazing for doing what she did. I wanted her to know that she was making a difference. So I decided to tell her.

And then what?

By the end of my conversation with her, I learned two things: the girl's name and the importance of language.

Here's a transcript of our conversation:

Me: I just want you to know that I respect you for helping around here!

Her: <blank stare>

Me: I...respect...you???

Her: <pointing to the toilet paper in my hands> That rubbish?

Me: Uhhhhhh??? Do you speak English?

Her: No...I'm from Hungary. <I could tell she was listening closely to try to understand me.>

Me: What's your name?

Her: Kidti. 

Me: Well, I think it's really awesome how you're cleaning here. We appreciate it!

Her: <another blank stare>

Me: I look up... <I pointed up at the sky>...to you <I pointed to her>...

Her: <shaking her head to tell me she didn't understand>

Me: I admire you???

Her: <still shaking her head>

Me: I revere you???

Her: <back to her blank stare>

Me: You're doing a good job???

Her: <looking insulted--clearly she had understood me wrong> I'm sorry. <turning away>

Me: Wait, Kidti!

Her: <turning around>

Me: <thumbs up to signalize "good job">

Her: <understanding and then smiling> Thank you!

From that day on, I never took communication for granted.

The language barrier I had with Kidti made me realize the value of language. I couldn't even tell someone that I respect her because we spoke two different languages. For us, language was a wall that limited us from expressing ourselves.

Plot twist!

But language doesn't only separate people. It also connects them. It opens doors to let our words flow into others and others' ideas into us. It allows us to understand and be understood.

Imagine this...

A world without words. A world without language. A world without any sort of communication at all.

I bet you can't imagine that. Communication is part of everything we do, from talking to listening, from sending a text to using body language.

A world without language is where every man is for himself. Friendship would be nonexistent, and without communication, every other human being is an alien to you.

It's about time we realize that we are so blessed with what we have: language!

Because of language, we are able to tell each other what we are feeling and what we are thinking. We are able to have other people empathize with us. We are able to form meaningful relationships with other people that share our language.

Communication is supposed to facilitate relationships and help people understand us. Then why is it sometimes used for exactly the opposite purpose: to express anger, hatred, or negative emotions?

So now what?

Next time you speak, make sure you have something nice to say. Think twice before criticizing someone. If it's going to hurt, then it's better if you don't say it at all. Words should be used sparingly, and language should be used wisely.


A songwriter once said: "What's the point of language if you don't say what you feel?" Well, what's the point of language if you don't say something nice?


"Use language as a tool, not a weapon!"

After all, that's what language is. It's a tool to help us connect to one another. In the darkness, it's the light.

2 comments:

  1. This post was very original and an enjoyable read. I know I've experienced language as a barrier in my life before. At various social events there have been conversations in Hindi and Urdu that I couldn't participate in because I only speak English. It can be frustrating, but I've learned to appreciate the limited conversation I can have with those people, and I've seen how much they appreciate it when I make the effort to learn a few phrases in their language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Imaan! I know what you mean since I'm also not fluent in my native language. However, when I do speak in it, others perceive me as "cultural" and appreciate it. :)

      Delete